Project Category: Building/Construction
Number of Participants: Upwards of 3,000 volunteers daily
Duration of Project: Project specific
Cost: Minimum of $50 per volunteer to cover equipment and volunteer insurance
Service Opportunities: Construction volunteers are the foundation of the NOAHH homeownership program, often working alongside NOAHH partner families. They build the homes from the ground up. The NOAHH ReStore is a retail outlet that sells donated goods in order to raise funds for NOAHH’s programs and to provide affordable home repair goods and furniture to the local community. Volunteers in the ReStore help the staff organize, clean, pickup deliveries, and serve customers The Habitat Urban Gardens (HUG) program allows local businesses, nonprofits, and individuals to keep gardens on unused NOAHH lots. Attack the Block volunteers engage in neighborhood revitalization and blight reduction through cleanup activities around communities where NOAHH builds. .
Location: 2900 Elysian Fields Ave.
New Orleans, LA 70122 MAP LINK
New Orleans Area Habitat for Humanity (NOAHH) builds houses in partnership with sponsors, volunteers, and partner families to eliminate poverty housing in the New Orleans area while serving as a catalyst to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action.
Impact: Economic Impact
- Since its incorporation in 1983, New Orleans Habitat has built over 550 homes and remediated over 200 more in the New Orleans area.
- Prior to Hurricane Katrina, NOAHH built 10-12 homes a year.
- Currently, NOAHH builds 25-30 homes a year.
- NOAHH has had a $307,000,000 impact since Hurricane Katrina on the economy of New Orleans*.
- NOAHH has created 3,434 jobs since 2006*.
- New Orleans Habitat’s Musicians’ Village consists of 72 single-family homes, five elder friendly duplexes, a toddler-friendly pocket park and the Ellis Marsalis Center for Music.
- 80% of the homes in Musicians’ Village Core Site house musicians.
Volunteer Responsibilities: Construction: Tasks range from foundation work to building walls to painting to flooring. You could be building a new home or building a wheelchair ramp for a housebound, elderly homeowner. Almost every part of our home construction and repair process is done by volunteers Volunteers in the ReStore help the staff organize, clean, pickup deliveries, and serve customers.
F&B Provided for Volunteers: No
Option to Move Project to a Different Location: No